"When I get to heaven I mean to spend a considerable portion of my first million years in painting, and so get to the bottom of the subject..." ~Winston Churchill

Eleanor Roosevelt, 24"x16" mixed media on canvas, 2018, make offer

In Civics we’ve been studying both the U.S. Bill of Rights & the Universal Declaration on Human Rights, so during Painting & 7th & 8th Grade Art classes, I began a portrait of Eleanor Roosevelt, the chair of the U.N. Commission on Human Rights, which wrote the UDHR in 1948. This is just day 2, I feel like I have a ways to go.

“Where, after all, do universal human rights begin? In small places, close to home – so close and so small that they cannot be seen on any maps of the world. Yet they are the world of the individual person; the neighbourhood he lives in; the school or college he attends; the factory, farm or office where he works. Such are the places where every man, woman and child seeks equal justice, equal opportunity, equal dignity without discrimination. Unless these rights have meaning there, they have little meaning anywhere.”

#udhr#humanrights #eleanorroosevelt #painting #artistsoninstagram