"When I get to heaven I mean to spend a considerable portion of my first million years in painting, and so get to the bottom of the subject..." ~Winston Churchill

Balance was a challenge. I had some areas that became more green and other areas that became too red, but I didn't want it to all be uniformly brown or pink either, so I tried to go in-and-out between the four. In previous years, I've leaned on the orange/blue and purple/yellow combinations but have shied away from the red/green because I struggled more with red and green. This time around however, I'm really happy with the final results. Since I'm not showing my entire face and I'm showing it as if I'm looking down at the viewers, I think this painting has a sort of crabby or grouchy look to it. Obviously I'm getting old. My painting looks waaaaaay more tired and weary than all these seventh graders'. This painting got some of the fewest "likes" on Instagram of all my posts so far this year. Maybe because it's a self-portrait- I don't know. I'm sure not planning on bringing it home to hang up in our kitchen or anything. I'm not quite sure what else I could do to it- but I don't feel like the mustache looks finished yet. I tried to contrast the warmth of my face with the cool of the dark green background. I worked as hard as I could to demonstrate for students how to neutralize colors by mixing in some of their compliments- so that the skin looks more natural, even though it has highlights and low-lights in each of the two colors un-blended.