"Cartooning is about deconstruction; you gotta tear somehting down to make a joke." ~Berke Breathed

"I actually find a lot of parallels in jazz and cartooning." ~Gary Larson

I wanted to be a cartoonist since I was in fifth grade. My best friend and I were constandly making up our own super heroes. In junior high I studied everything I could find about newspaper comic strips and magazine panel cartoons. In high school my dream was to become a political cartoonist for a major newspaper. Alas, this was about as unlikely as bececoming a huge rock star, movie star or pro athlete.

For a brief while, my cartoons were published in a regional weekly newspaper. I still occasionaly cartoon and I teach students that cartooning is a terrific way of thinking on paper, useful for journaling, note taking and communicating. It's more developed than doodling but much more streamline and quick than full-blown (realistic) drawing.

Interested in seeing more of my cartoons? I used to keep a blog which essentially became a repository for cartoons and collages from 1984-2013:

http://tedstoons.blogspot.com

'I'm Yo Huckleberry' 2014

While most students may never know of my past life, occasionally they get to see it sneak out into their world, like one Valentines Day in Civics class, when I drew the actors from Tombstone in honor of the alternative holiday (not Doc), Arizona Statehood Day, also on February 14th.