"Cartooning is about deconstruction; you gotta tear somehting down to make a joke." ~Berke Breathed

"I actually find a lot of parallels in jazz and cartooning." ~Gary Larson

I wanted to be a cartoonist since I was in fifth grade. My best friend and I were constandly making up our own super heroes. In junior high I studied everything I could find about newspaper comic strips and magazine panel cartoons. In high school my dream was to become a political cartoonist for a major newspaper. Alas, this was about as unlikely as bececoming a huge rock star, movie star or pro athlete.

For a brief while, my cartoons were published in a regional weekly newspaper. I still occasionaly cartoon and I teach students that cartooning is a terrific way of thinking on paper, useful for journaling, note taking and communicating. It's more developed than doodling but much more streamline and quick than full-blown (realistic) drawing.

Interested in seeing more of my cartoons? I used to keep a blog which essentially became a repository for cartoons and collages from 1984-2013:

http://tedstoons.blogspot.com

¡Viva Posada!

I've been on the phone with the editor of La Prensa, Iowa the Spanish language newspaper. They publish in, Carroll, Storm Lake, Spencer, Perry, Ames, and Des Moines. If she likes my calaveras cartoon, this could be a bigger market than the Mapleton PRESS was. Of course, I barely know much "Spanglish," so I'll need her help translating, but that may force me to use far fewer words so that the images carry the joke. Who knows. We'll see how this goes.

This one has been corrected for better Spanish.

Here is the English:
The Mexican skeleton asks, "We're all the same under the skin, right Mr. King?"
Rep. Steve King replies, "Get away from me with your drugs and diseases!* We should've kept you out with electric fences like cattle!"

*April 27, 2006, the Des Moines Register published an op-ed piece by Steve King regarding the planned May 1 "Day Without an Immigrant" rallies.

King said "(without immigrants) Our hospital emergency rooms would not be flooded with everything from gunshot wounds, to anchor babies, to imported diseases to hangnails..."