lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

finally posted because of popular demand:

<<<<<

Chromotopia:

Geographies of Color

Guarantee:

after you view this presentation, you will never view or teach color in the same way!

<<<<

Meaningful Choices:

Changing Processes, Purposes, & Products of Art Education

Olivia Gude

Katherine Douglas

Sharif Bey

Anne Thulson

Four critical friends share dilemmas, questions, and critiques to evolve practices of art education that maximize opportunities for exploration, experimentation, and student choice to make personal and shared meaning. 

<< See Meaningful Choices chapter for pdfs of presentations.

>> See Videos section for a complete video of presentation

Bricolage Curriculum &

Next Generation Standards

It was wonderful visiting with fellow teachers at the 2015

Pennsylvania Art Education Association conference,

Washington Art Education Association confererence, &

Art Educators of Iowa conference. 

<<<<

Here's a pdf of the presentations I gave at PAEA & WAEA. 

<<Posted June 2015

Not Standardization:

Curriculum & Core Values in

Next Generation Standards

delivered at 2015 NAEA NOLA Conference

<<

Evocative & Provocative

Curriculum

keynote for the

2014 TAEA conference in San Antonio

Check out this great re-mix of some of my best curriculum ideas and projects, made especially for the great TEXAS educators. 

I'm always excited to share new ideas.

I don't want to wait the months until publication

(plus there are never enough images)

SO

CHECK OUT

these PDFs

of some of my best presentations. 

<< DON'T MISS

The Skeptical Assessment Society

<< JOIN

the conversation on 

Rethinking Arts Assessment

Summer 2014

<< Skeptical Assessment Society

presentation with complete text & images

I was honored to receive the Manuel Barkan Award at the 2014 National Art Education Association Conference. Then I realized that with this honor came the honor and responsibility of presenting the Manuel Barkan Award lecture!

Working on the Visual Arts Writing Team for the Next Generation Core Arts Standards, I've spent a lot of time thinking about identifying objectives for quality art education and then considering by what methods we can determine whether students are building knowledge and skills in art education. I truly believe that to evolve high quality arts assessment we have to be willing to look at the foibles and fantasies of current assessment practices. 

llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

June 13, 2014

<<Trace: the Force of a Curriculum Assemblage

aka Trace: A Bricolage Assemblage Curriculum 

Intertwine metaphors and methods to construct comprehensive bricolage curriculum, an assemblage, a constellations of qualities, ideas and objects that introduce students to strategies for experiencing, interpreting, enjoying and making contemporary culture. 

Many teachers have told me that they found the range of artmaking approaches covered in a single class to be inspirational. Based on the Spiral Workshop group Trace: Experimental Drawing, the group conceptually explores the way in which meaning is created in art and language through the "always already" traces of other meanings. 

This presentation is also the latest in a series attempting to articulate structures by which credible 21st century curriculum can be organized.

It suggests understanding curriculum in 3 ways:

Assemblage Curriculum

Bricolage Curriculum 

Comprehensive Curriculum

December 2013

<< Remix: Evocative & Provocative Pedagogy 

I've enjoyed speaking with education folks around the country this fall. While teachers are cautiously concerned about how adopting Common Core will effect their teaching and evaluation, many are also excited about envisioning new art education curriculum that engages teachers in developing students' capacities to engage the "texts" of artworks. 

I've spoken at conferences in Indiana, Idaho, Wisconsin, and Illinois. I've been presenting a re-mix of material that I've been working with the last couple of years. This combines thoughts on how Common Core and Next Generation Standards are in sync with evolving visions of Art Education--curriculum that gets beyond formalist vocabulary to include the diverse strategies of artmaking in today's complex contemporary culture. Making good on my promise to get this posted so conference participants could relax and absorb and not bother with taking notes, check out

Remix: Evocative & Provocative Pedagogy of a Bricolage Curriculum

Summer 2013

<< The latest in a series of presentations that explore how to create credible, comprehensive curriculum frameworks for contemporary visual arts education that meets the needs of students and their communities by introducing authentic traditional and contemporary artistic practices.
Bricolage Curriculum–Post Elements & Principles, Post-Studio, Post-Media: Imagining Credible 21st Century Curriculum Planning Frameworks

First presented in 2013 at the National Art Education Association 2013 conference in Fort Worth, Texas. 

<< Presented as a Supersession at the NAEA conference in NYC in 2012, the

Evocative & Provocative Pedagogy: Toward a Culture Changing Curriculum

presentation advocates for a diverse curriculum (a Bricolage Curriculum) made up of projects in traditional media and new art practices. 

<< Self-Reflecting and Self-Portraiturealso presented at the 2012 NAEA conference in NYC, explains why it is not good psychology or good art to teach projects in which students are instructed to "represent the REAL you." This presentation showcases three projects that explore how one's sense of self is generated in family life and in complex cultural experiences.  

<<I've presented Why We Need New School Art Styles at state art education conferences, universities and museums over the last few years. Its purpose is to give teachers realistic models for developing postmodern art education curriculum through which students can effectively investigate and represent issues in their lives. 

<<Traditional media investigates contemporary themes Painting at Spiral Workshop: Cute Degenerate Apparitions. This presentation showcases several Spiral Workshop theme curricula that combine teaching skills in painting with using aesthetic investigation to explore significant themes in contemporary life.

Some image presentations will also be posted in my Art Education Articles section as well as on the Spiral Workshop e-Portfolio so look around in different places. 

It's a lot of work to prepare this material for posting so comments and encouragement to let me know that this material is useful to you will motivate me to get more materials posted.