[Fred Babb Faces]

I recently discovered the artist Fred Babb through the website www.deepspacesparkle.com. After doing some research on Fred Babb, I was instantly in love with his artwork! The bright and vibrant colors mixed with the excited imagery, and wonderful messages about how art is awesome are so inspiring.  I showed his artwork to my 4th grade students and they were totally into him. I demonstrated how to draw a face, and we brainstormed ideas for our own Art Messages, and the kids went to work. I didn't demonstrate too much because I wanted the students to be free to come up with their own ideas. There were no rules while painting, and the kids loved it! The final projects with the faces and messages give me chills, and make me giggle. I hope they do the same for you!

[Self Portrait Mural]
Faces can be complicated to draw, but after breaking down the simple and mathematical ways our faces are lined up, it became easy! Each student creating their own self portrait using their new portrait drawing skills, and colored it using Analogous colors (3 colors next to each other on the color wheel). Miss Morningstar then placed all the portraits together to create a brilliant rainbow mural, featuring all the 4th graders.

[Op Art!]
Whoa! Optical Illusions!!! 4th grade minds were blown as pictures and paintings started to move, change colors, and play tricks on their brains! We were very excited to get started on our own Op Art drawings, and created 2D drawings, that looked like a circle was being pushed through the page!

[Jackson Pollock Splatter Paintings]

4th graders learned all about the famous American artist Jackson Pollock. He was a unique an extravagant artist, who after being told he couldn't painting objects realistically, he invented his own type of abstract painting called ACTION PAINTING. The students explored Pollock's painting style as they took turns working in groups to splatter and drip various colors of paint on a large piece of paper. The final paintings are colorful and full of energy and excitement, just like the students who painted them.

[Warm & Cool Leaf Designs]

After analyzing different types of real leaves, we used GLUE to create our leaf drawings. We learned the difference between warm and cool colors, using warm to color our leaves, and cool to make a repeating patterned background!

[Tropical Bird Paintings]

4th grade looked at LOTS of pictures of tropical birds, paying close attention to the colors, textures, and uniqueness of each one. They then learned a few tricks to help them draw a tropical bird from Miss Morningstar, and then the fun started! After experimenting, and figuring out how to make mistakes look like part of the drawing, a final drawing was created which was then artfully colored using a variety of bright vibrant watercolor paints. Each tropical bird is an incredible fun and colorful masterpiece, especially with the artist’s signature at the bottom!!

[Crazy Coil Pots]
After learning about clay and the unique ways to create interesting designs with coils, the 4th graders designed and built their own coiled containers using at least two different coil techniques. The art room was full of high energy students as they experimented, and coiled their pots higher and higher!  After the pots were fired in the kiln, color was added to make them truely beautiful creations.

Texture Printmaking

4th Grade