[Artist Statement]

Every morning, I wake up and perform a series of tasks to prepare myself for the day. After taking a shower, and deciding what to wear, I then spend a significant amount of time looking in a mirror. I pry my eye open with one hand, exposing almost my entire eyeball, and plop a contact in with the other. Next I lean extremely close to the mirror and attempt to apply eye shadow to each eye, with one lightly closed, and the other oddly trying to pay attention. As I apply mascara, my eyes bug out, and for some reason my mouth must gape open in order for me to achieve the right affect. When finished, I take one final look. I have created a “Me.”

I am interested in how and why we, as females, define our identity. Although we try everyday to create a particular physical identity for ourselves, whether it is to be unique or part of a larger group, there are little unnoticed occurrences throughout the beautifying process that crack and obstruct our carefully created selves. Perhaps it is these awkward moments that allow for a glimpse into our true selves, rather than the one society has made us want to create.