Miss Betsy Morningstar

I am a highly motivated, excited, and talented art teacher who is constantly setting the bar of personal excellence higher and higher. My students smile as I greet them at the art room door, and cheerwhen they discover the new art adventure that they are about to embark on. I love working with children, watching them develop artistically, and helping them to discover that there are not mistakes in art, only beautiful opportunities. The creative minds of children make me smile everyday, and I can not imagine a world that is not brightened by the laughter, fun, and creativity of young children.

I graduated Magna Cum Laude from Mercyhurst College on May 23, 2010 with a Bachelor of Art Degree in Art Education. I have taught Art to grades K-5 Harrisburg, PA, am currently teaching at Waynesboro Senior High School, where I teach AP Art, Art IV, and Sculpture! Oh, and did I mention, I love every minute of it!? Teaching art is my passion, and I look forward to painting, sculpting and exploring art with my students every day. In the art room we have a lot of fun, and learn SO MUCH throughout the year!

As many of my students know, I LOVE COLOR. I try to dress as colorful as possible. :) My favorite color is yellow! I have a mischevious cat named Vesper, and I usually smile all day.

[About Miss Morningstar]

When I was younger, I could never figure out what I wanted to be when I “grew up”.  My future occupation constantly changed.  One day I wanted to be a house painter, the next, a pig farmer. When I was in 6th grade, my elementary school hired a new art teacher, Mrs. Vassallo. She taught me how to love art. She allowed us to experiment, try new things, and be original; all things my old art teacher frowned upon. At that point, in 6th grade, I realized that I wanted to be an art teacher so I could share my love of art with other students, as Mrs. Vassallo had done for me.

I studied abroad in Italy in 2009 and enjoyed the vast amounts of rich art history that the country has to offer. I have no doubt that my love for travel has expanded my understanding of the art world.  I have experienced many new cultures and have seen first hand the famous works of art from the past, which laid a foundation for the art of our future. These experiences have not only enriched me, but will also enrich my classroom as it can help to inspire others.

I have a passion for the creative process and a strong dedication to providing a quality art education and establishing high expectations for my students.  This past year I taught elementary art to a diverse student population in grades kindergarten through five. This enhanced my artistic pedagogy.  Art history, art production, play, aesthetics, and constructive criticism are five crucial aspects of art education.  I believe that the art room should be a safe place where students can experiment with the application of ideas in art and life in a variety of ways.  All students have the ability to create art, and it is up to the art teacher to showcase their true potential.  

Through my experiences, I am confident that I will be able to effectively fulfill my role as an art teacher. My energetic drive and desire to educate others about art will allow me to inspire and enrich my student’s artistic experiences. As Albert Einstein once said, “It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.”