My Teaching Philosophy

Education is a journey. True, we want students to possess the knowledge and skills they develop in their disciplines. Perhaps more important, though, is the wisdom to know when to hold one’s tongue and when to speak out, the emotional intelligence to connect with others outside their comfort-zone, the insights to solve ill-formed problems, and the acceptance of personal responsibility to improve one’s community.

In whole, those things do not comprise a formal curriculum. But they must be infused in any successful education. Socrates argued, “Education is the kindling of a flame, not the filling of a vessel”. I seek to cross-pollinate theory and studio practice in new and innovative ways. Working with a broad spectrum of traditional and digital tools and materials, I hope to broaden horizons and foster the development of my students.

Research holds a critical and central place in my doctrine as my students and I engage in critical reflection and inform new directions for the future. Side by side learning fosters a deeper and more tangible understanding of oneself and others, therefore promoting peace and harmony. I teach for understanding by designing backwards from big ideas, including organizing principles, useful insights, and promising strategies. I use the existentialism philosophy in my classroom discussion to stimulate awareness and self-concept. I am a constructivist and experience focused. I teach my students to respect complexity, to use multiple perspectives and theories, and to distrust simple answers.

I believe that allowing young people to represent themselves empowers them. Empowerment or liberation is made possible by the interchangeability between teacher and leader roles. There is virtue in self-knowing and the development of your own understandings. Linearity is described as the property of having one dimension. Students and the world are constantly challenging linearity. Modern edification has taught students that many questions have only one right answer, there are wrong answers, and the wrong answers are painful. I teach students to become better citizens by questioning the world around them and developing passions. There is great latitude in the choices made by students.

I will never pretend I know more than I do. Admitting ignorance, taking risks, and owning mistakes are powerful catalysts in learning and creativity. In my own professional development I have learned to practice an authoritative teaching style—a mix of structure and compassion. This structure includes high expectations as I push my students to the edge. The caring includes trying to understand my students' lives, dreams, and anxieties.

Above all I recognize that as an educator, I am responsible for preparing students with a vision for the future.