A quote from a student about Julia's artwork:

"Julia works in many different materials, not including 2D surfaces. All of her pieces involve movement-- whether of the material, the viewer, or her own self. A few of her pieces seemed to combine machinery and metal with this movement. A few of them also combined audience interaction with movement as well."

From the artist:

My work takes many forms, the medium I use reflects the continual process and results of collecting knowledge. However, performance was thoroughly a natural progression for me after collage. I discuss in my work analyzing and approaching those opportunities with which we ask individuals to engage. If phenomena is an essentially contrasted concept. Occurring in relation to situated acts, ‘presence’ not only invites consideration of individual experience, perception and consciousness, but also directs attention outside the self into the social and the spatial, toward the enactment of ‘co-presence’ as well as perceptions and habitations of place. Presence implies temporality, too - a fulcrum of presence is tense and the relationship between past and present. In my work, the examination of presence and its performance is linked to inscriptions of the past into the present, even considered the cues and prompts in which a future sense of presence may come to be enacted.