Hello art educator:

A message from founding coordinator,

This site was conceived at the NAEA annual convention in Seattle, 2011 at a CSTAE session at which the presenters solicited the current needs of art educators. At the time, I was in my thirteenth year of teaching K-12 in public schools and was employed as a high school visual art educator in a conventional setting. Having worked in alternative, interdisciplinary settings that approached curricula thematically, I was tirelessly aiming to teach my high school students with that same interdisciplinary approach - and I was the sole visual art teacher in a school of 1200 students! At that point I had taught most of the lessons on Olivia Gude's Spiral site and I wanted more support. Needless to say, I was desperate for curricula to supplement my own and, like many of you, I lacked the luxury of time.

I sought high-quality resources: contemporary themes relevant to our students' lives, projects that speak to social justice created by a diverse range of authors, and critical thinking opportunities that broaden students' perceptions of art.  I sought these thematic themes complete with rubrics, slideshows, student examples, and handouts. I wanted the support in a centralized location, and accessible to all educators to support a democratic collaboration processes that benefits not only our students but our personal investment and engagement with our teaching.

After two years in the making, we launched this portfolio in 2013. It's been a joy working with CSTAE to get this hub afloat. Please, let us know how to improve this resource - we welcome your feedback. Email me presonally or leave comments on the site.

Warmly,

Jennifer Combe

jennifer.combe@mso.umt.edu

Art Education: The University of Montana

Review Committee Members

Patty Bode

Patty Bode interweaves social theory and art education in PK-12 public school classrooms, juvenile justice settings, museum environments and with pre-service teachers, undergraduate and graduate students. In 2014 she helped to launch a new, urban public school for middle and high school youth in Springfield, Massachusetts called Springfield Conservatory of the Arts (SCotA). In her role as Magnet Resource Teacher for integrating arts at SCotA she draws upon ten years in higher eduction at Tufts University-SMFA and The Ohio State University, as well as more than seventeen years as a public school art teacher to reinvent practices that make social theory visible. She publishes, advises, lectures and teaches in the fields of critical multicultural education, urban education, teacher education and art education and policy. Patty's web site is http://www.pattybode.com/ and SCotA's facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Springfield-Conservatory-of-the-Arts-SCotA-/694492860645767

Jody Boyer

Jody Boyer is an arts educator and visual artist living and working in the midwest. Over the last fourteen years she has taught in a variety of P-16 environments including public schools,  arts nonprofits and Universities throughout the Midwest. She currently teaches art education and digital art courses at the University of Nebraska at Omaha and visual arts at Norris Middle School. In 2014 she received the Caucus of Social Theory in Art Education’s Social Theory in Practice Award for K-12 Art teachers, and was selected 2014 Nebraska Middle School Art Educator of the Year by the Nebraska Art Teachers Association.

In her studio practice she explores the broad interdisciplinary possibilities of traditional and new media with a specific interest in p ersonal memory, cinema, landscape and a sense of place. She received her B.A. in Studio Arts from Reed College, her M.A. in Intermedia and Video Art from the University of Iowa, and her K-12 teaching certificate at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.  Her artwork has been shown nationally, including at the Des Moines Art Center, Womanmade Gallery in Chicago, and the Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts and in such publications as Review and Art in America.  More information can be found at her website, www.jodyboyer.com. 

Meaghan Brady-Nelson

Jennifer Combe     

Jennifer Combe is an artist and Assistant Professor of Art at The University of Montana. In 2016 she was awarded the Montana Art Educator of the Year. She was the first CSTAE Online Curriculum Portfolio coordinator and served three years on the Executive Committee for the Community Arts Caucus with the National Art Education Association.

Her fifteen years of K-12 experience in Washington State includes teaching elementary school, elementary art, high school art, and para-education in traditional and alternative settings.  She received an MIT from The Evergreen State College, an MFA from The Vermont College of Fine Arts, and a BA from The Evergreen State College. She also studied at Pontifical Xavierian University in Bogota, Colombia.

Her studio work explores the interplay between cultural contexts and semiotic forms, specifically with the role categorizing plays as people construct schema.  She draws from abstraction, children's drawings, and her experience as a mother and then charts patterns and categories that surface as images are interpreted, distilled and output into imagery. Her work can be viewed at jennifercombe.com.

Derek Fenner

Derek Fenner is an artist, educator, and researcher living in Oakland, California.  After a decade of experience as an art educator and administrator in the Massachusetts juvenile justice system, he is completing his Doctorate in education at Mills College (2016). His research interests include, youth participatory action research as pedagogy, juvenile justice education, decolonizing methodologies, and arts based research. He works in  the Integrated Learning department at the Alameda County Office of Education. 

Alice Penissi 

Alice Pennisi is an associate professor and Graduate Program Coordinator in the Art Education Department at SUNY Buffalo State. She currently teaches courses in curriculum design, aesthetics/art criticism, research, as well as Youth Cultures, a course focusing on adolescent development and the subcultures of middle and high school-level youth. She was a middle and high school teacher in the New York City public schools, teaching art, science, social studies, ELA, and arts integration. She was also co-founder of New Design High School on New York City’s Lower East Side. Her interests are in teacher research as personal professional development and adolescent school re-engagement through teacher-student curriculum negotiation.