December 23, 2015 

Hi everyone, 

Check out my new article, Exploring Bullying Through Artmaking, in the new 2016 Art Education Journal, exploring the theme of “Risk, Response, & Responsibility: Artistic Interventions."

It has been a pleasure to work with my close friend and colleague, Josh Dracup, on this endeavor over the past three years, developing and bringing this writing to life. Thank you Josh! Anyone who is interested in exploring and addressing school bullying in the art classroom, school community, or empathy and compassion with students, please consider reading our article and the articles in the new issue of Art Education, which are all wonderful.

If you’re planning on going to the NAEA National Conference this year in Chicago, I will be delivering a best practice presentation on our article and discussing new outcomes of the work.

See session details: "Bullying: Outfits, Play, and Transformations Through Comics, Creatures, and Artifacts." 2:00 PM - 2:50 PM, Friday, March 18, 2016. Instructional Practice Middle Level, Secondary. Participants will explore meaningful lessons that examine bullying through art making. New strategies will be discussed on how to respond to bullying behaviors to cultivate healthy relationships at school. Best Practice Lecture. McCormick Place/North Building/N139/Level 1

A big thank you to all my colleagues for your support and encouragement as always!

Ben

-----

March 24, 2014

Hey everyone,  

I will be presenting two presentations at NAEA this week and welcome your participation and engagement. 

• The Whole Art Educator: Remixing Studio Practice and Investigation in a Digital Age, with Jessie Nathans and Shari Bergel, artists and art educators at the Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School, Rockville, MD. We will explore how we balance the use of technology and handwork in the studio classroom while exploring topics of preparation in studio lesson planning, creating exemplars with students, and personal reflection through technology. Our presentation will begin on Saturday, 3/29/2014, 10:00 - 10:50 AM, Convention Center/Meeting Room 29C/Upper Level.
  • Wall to Wall: Examining Street Art and Technology in the Studio Classroom, with Josh Dracup, artist and art educator at Washington Irving Middle School, Boston, MA. We will examine two lessons connecting graffiti with digital technology with programs Edmodo and Photoshop. Attendants will reflect upon strategies for engaging students through public and social wall spaces as part of their teaching repertoire. Our presentation will begin on Monday, 3/31/2014, 11:00 - 11:50 AM, Convention Center/Meeting Room 32B/Upper Level.

-----

March, 24, 2013

Dear teachers, friends, and colleagues,

In April, I will be presenting at AIMS Spring Teachers Reteat and Routes: A Day of Jewish Learning:

AIMS Spring Teachers Retreat 

April 8-9, 2013
Harbourtowne Resort
St. Michaels, MD

Exploring Student Performance in the Art Classroom 

In this session, I will examine classroom methods useful for art teachers. Participants will engage in hands-on exercises and activities that examine how to keep track of student progress and performance, as well as classroom management techniques and guidance for grading artwork. Different strategies and processes will be examined that will help build confidence and skills.

—-

ROUTES:  A Day of Jewish Learning

Sunday, April 14, 2013
10AM- 5PM
Location:  American University, Washington DC

Jessie Nathans and Benjamin Tellie
Exploring Identity and Spirituality Through Hands-On Art Making
Art is an exciting way to learn about Identity and Spirituality. We will use hands-on art making methods such as layering color, applying textures, and exploring word play to create a simple art book. Our inspiration will be drawn from the psalm by King David: “Happy Are Those Who Dwell in Your House.” Participants will reflect on what dwells inside their home, sacred spaces, and what colors, shapes and words express how happiness is a part of their house. No art background necessary.

Thanks,

Ben

—-

Feburary 28, 2013

Dear teachers, friends, and colleagues,

Don't miss my two new presentations at the NAEA convention in Forth Worth.

Exploring bullying through artmaking

I am collaborating with art educator Josh Dracup, who teaches art at the Washington Irving Middle School. Our presentation will explore lessons on how middle school students and teachers can identify, react to, and prevent bullying through various art projects in the studio classroom.

Artmaking and spirituality: Identity, discourse, and exploration

I will be presenting with Jessie Nathans, art educator at the Charles E. Smith Jewish Day School Lower School Campus. Our presentation will feature lessons and discussions about ways we approach, teach, and explore spirituality through art with our students.

New article featured in the MAEA Gazette, fall 2012.

Read my new article, “The online dialogue: Exploring classroom blogging and website creation,” in the Maryland Art Education Association Fall Gazette (2012, p. 4-6).

http://benjamintellie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/MAEA.Gazette.Fall_.20121.pdf

-Ben

------------

Dear Teachers and Colleagues,

I am pleased to announce that I will be presenting at the Maryland Art Education Association state convention on Friday, October 19th. 

Don’t miss my presentation: Dialoguing online: Examining art classroom blogging. 

My presentation will explore various art lessons on how high school students can discuss their work by blogging online and reflect on their artistic process and self-identity.

Visit the MAEA website to learn more information and register for this event.

Thank you very much and looking forward to seeing you there!

Sincerely,

Ben

---------------

March 6, 2012

Welcome everyone to my new NAEA e-portfolio site!

It was so wonderful to attend NAEA convention this year.  It was such a meaningful educational experience. I learned so much from the many presentations that were given. Thank you to everyone that presented. 

It is my pleasure to inform you that I have posted some resources from my recent NAEA convention presentation:

“Recordings and dialogue: Exploring classroom blogging as a form of self and group reflection.”

Also please feel free to look at a resource from my recent 2011 presentation, “Exploring classroom transitions: Reflections of a first year art teacher,” at the Maryland Art Education Association State Conference, Annapolis, MD.

You may find the resources under the “Presentation and Workshops” link. Feel free to use the resources or tailor them to your art curriculum. Thanks!

-Ben