I taught elementary art students for 14 years and during that time I wrote 10 theme-based, year-long curricula!  "eARTh...it's got ART" was bought by Arts and Activities magazine in the 2007-2008 school year and all lessons, geared K-5 can be found on their website, www.artsandactivities.com, then go to the globe for more info. 

They just bought my "Alpha Art...the ABC's of ART" which will be publised through out the 2009-2010 school year, so check it out!  The first article came out in the September 2009 issue!  I am thrilled to be working with such an awesome magazine!

Other curricula includes, "Art Detectives...Through Time", "Museum Mania", "Visualizing Virtue", to name a few.  I have published 4 teaching guides, "Rhythm-ongs", "eARTh...it's got ART", "Art Detectives Through Time" and "Alpha Art...the ABC's of Art" and a children's book, "Eliminopee and the Alphabet Tree...Come and Learn with Visual Imagery".  I  will be publishing a few more teaching resource CD's within the next few months and all of which are on sale now.  Contact me at:  dewestudio@bellsouth.net for more information. 

I have a few sample lessons on this site!  Enjoy and springboard off of them ...the best lessons come when we are learning from each other and adding our own creative twists!  I look forward to hearing about your successes!

Schapiro Surprises:

Students will be inspired by the art of femmage artist, Miriam Schapiro!

After looking at several pieces of her fabric, painted collages, students will reflect on who they are and what their favorite activities are!

Students will sketch out several thumbnail sketches of friends and family and places and events and then select the thumbnail they would like to enlarge and collage. 

I give my students paper, wallpaper samples, fabric samples, glue, scissors and a mirror!  Once they know how to utilize these materials, it's time to let their creativity soar!  We follow the lesson up with a quick splatter of watercolor paint to create the textures made by Miriam Schapiro in many of her works!

Hanging all of these fun artworks in the "mini museum" (aka, the art hallway) allows the kids to critique in a friendly atmosphere and applaud each other for a job well done!

This 2nd grade example is a perfect piece to model for your students!