Celebrating SummerVision DC: A Decade of Museum Explorations

https://www.arteducators.org/news/articles/568-celebrating-summervision-dc

SummerVision DC Testimonials by Art, Museum, and Other Educators

• This experience is far and away the BEST professional development experience I can remember in my entire career.  The chance to study and uncover elements of theme, form and context in major works of art made the experience so rich, and the number of museums we studied gave the program such depth.  What a banquet!  I loved the visual journal.  It encouraged me to look deeper at art works, allowed me to be actively involved even during lectures, and as an artist it was very gratifying to have the opportunity to make art in a non threatening framework.  I still go back to the pages, and do a little more here and there.
  • The interactive nature of the educators’ presentations … let me connect with others in the group and the artwork at the same time.  I now have a store of go-to lessons and methods I can use with any piece of art.  Learning that the aesthetic experience includes using all of the senses was a revelation to me that has changed how I experience art.
  • It was fantastic to be among people who spoke the same "language" as far as artwork is concerned.  To be able to speak to people that understand the artwork, the movements, know the artists, is not something one runs across on a daily basis.  Also to be among fellow educators and hear of their experiences and to see how they related to the art was invaluable experience.
  • Never having visited D.C. before it was simply an inspirational experience getting to view so many of the works I've seen in books up close and in person. Add in the professionalism and awesome preparation made by our instructors to create a seamless four-day art blitzkrieg and all I can say is Wow!! What an life changing event!!!
  • Having 4 days time to be in a museum environment and interact with visual art, participants from different professional backgrounds and museum educators. The opportunity to visit and engage at 7 plus museums in a short time frame made this experience very worthwhile.
  • SummerVision is an ambitious program that helps to build understanding between the worlds of classroom and museum educators.  Thanks!
  • I am very grateful for this experience.  It will be with me forever… I think it's because we didn't just look at the art and museums, we used all of our senses to come to know the many layers they had to offer.  Thanks again for a great learning opportunity.
  • My colleague and I want to thank you for an unbelievable experience.  We will never look at a piece of art the same way again.  Cannot wait to try some of these great ideas back in the classroom.
  • This is the only conference I've attended that focused not only on the art itself, but on how to make it more accessible for our students...as well as letting us, the teachers, just revel in delight of these glorious museums.  We were indeed nurtured.
  • The interaction between so many educators, both in the field of art and without, served to reinforce why I do what I do.  While what was presented was invaluable, the personal interactions and reflections of others always make an experience more enjoyable and rewarding.
  • Our leaders and all of the museum educators were superb.  What a great learning experience with a learning community.  The nurturers were truly nurtured.
  • It was great to interface with different museum educators to see their teaching style, how they'd present activities to students AND share information and strategies I can put to use right away.
  • Having just come back from the National Art Education Association's SummerVisionDC …, I have renewed energy in discovering the inexhaustibility of teaching with objects.  As an art museum educator, one of the best ways I have found to strengthen my teaching skills is to learn from my colleagues across the country.