My classroom is a wonderful place of encouragement, exploration and positive experience. When a student enters my
classroom I want them to feel safe and to have a positive creative experience. Not all students are going to excel in art but all 
students can have a positive experience when guided through the creative experience and process. I believe that creativity and 
art open up areas of the mind such as, observing, recognition and thinking abstractly. My art class can give a student the thinking, 
reasoning and observation tools that will help them excel and perform to proficiency in other subjects.  

Being a teacher of any subject requires that you care about your students. I try to get to know my students by observing them 
and listening to them. I want to know what they care about, what they enjoy, what they look forward to and what they do not like. 
When I make an assignment I want it to ignite a feeling in them not only about the process but about something that they care 
about. In 7th grade I assign them a drawing project after a study of Edward Hicks "The Peaceable Kingdom". We discuss how he 
wanted to teach a lesson about being at peace with each other through his art and then after a discussion of what is going on in 
our world, community, school and home they create a drawing of their own peaceable kingdom.  I give them certain guidelines 
and freedom to express their own feelings. They can use words from a popular song, poetry, scripture or make up their own 
words for the border around the artwork. I like to display these in the hall or in the classroom and watch them as they share their 
art with others, explaining their intent and purpose as well as commenting on others art. Students know when a teacher cares 
about them and they respond by opening up and sharing their own feelings and things that they need to talk about and work 
through. I often have students drop by to see me to share something either good or bad that is happening in their life.  They have 
shared everything from divorcing parents to a desire to "cut themselves" or feelings of unworthiness and depression. 

My rewards in teaching come from many sources; thankful parents, students who love art, encouraging other teachers and 
sharing my own love of creating art. Parents often send me notes or tell me in person of their own surprise at the obvious love of

sharing my own love of creating art. Parents often send me notes or tell me in person of their own surprise at the obvious love of art developing in their child. My classes are always full and students want to be included in the gifted and talented art program.  
Students also drop by to tell me of an art experience such as a museum visit or seeing art somewhere on TV or in the community 
that they think I would find interesting.  I enjoy sharing my love of teaching and art with pre-service teachers and other art 
teachers either in my classroom or in a professional development setting. The students enjoy when I bring in my own paintings or 
show them examples of my pottery. It is a way of sharing myself with them and my own love of art. 
     My greatest joy is to make a difference in the life of a child. I realize the importance of a word of encouragement or praise. 
Teaching art is my means of showing love and beauty to everyone I have the pleasure to instruct and lead.