Metal Manipulations

Click HERE for a free copy of my workshop handout.

I start with a roll of 38 gauge aluminum metal (two-toned) and cut it down to the correct size (about 1/2" more for height and width than the foundation board).

I decide which color I want to have showing and center the foundation board on the back.  The foundation board is usually a thin piece of cardboard (not corrugated).

Being very careful not to cut myself onthe sharp edges I wrap the edges of the metal around the board and smooth them with the handle of a texture tool (marker or craft stick would work too...anything except for your finger).

I use masking tape to cover the sharp edges on the back.

Now for the fun part!  Using a pencil (not too sharp) or texture tools create your design on the metal surface.  I love all the textures I can create with the texture wheels, but the stylus/pencil gives me the freedom to make up my own textures, lines and images.

When you are happy with your design add a loop of tape to the back and attach it to a larger scrap paper.  The tape will help to keep your metal creation in one place while you add the paint and the scrap paper will keep the painty mess contained so that clean-up wil be easier.

You will need to work quickly for this part.  Apply a small amount of acrylic paint to your metal creation using a cosmetic sponge or a bristle brush.  Be sure to get paint into all the grooves and cover the entire surface.  Before the paint can dry you need to polish the excess paint from the surface using a soft paper towel.  Stop polishing when the paint starts to dry so that you don't rub the paint off completely leaving super shiney areas on your work (unless you like that look).

Allow your finished creation to dry right where it is for awhile.  The paint will dry quickly, but I would give it 30 minutes to be sure it is completely dry.

Congratulations, you have a fantastic new work of art.  Enjoy!